Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Full of Surprises

There are people in life we think we know so well that we can always predict what they will do next. I figured Max fell into this category for me. After all, I am his mother and have spent literally everyday with him for the past two and a half years. So, I thought I knew what was coming when Jonas arrived. So I carefully planned and prepped.

We spent extra time together- reading books and cuddling. I would tell him all about baby Jonas and how Max would be the best big brother... and that Jonas would bring him a present. I saw everything go in one ear and out the other- except for the 'present for Max' concept.

Then the big day arrived. I saw what I expected. Complete denial of a new baby (with the exception of this one glance Max gave Jonas in the hospital), outrageous behavior, but enthusiasm for long-anticipated present (a car garage). I figured I was pretty much doomed to dealing with tantrums 24-7 for the next year and half as Max learned to accept the undeniable fact that he was no longer alone in the house.

But, what's this? When we brought Max home, we were greeted with huge hugs and "I missed you" s. He actually held Jonas, gave him a kiss (with a little hesitation, and wiping his lips afterwards!) and has been a wonderful big brother! Max has shown Jonas trains and cars and patiently tried to get Jonas to hold them, tried sharing his licorice (we had to explain the 'no teeth' thing as Max vigorously tried to get him to gum it), told him about Thomas (the train), and even asked to see him in the wee hours of the morning this morning. It turns out Max was listening after all- and all of my positive affirmations I thought were in vain, were right- Max is one amazing big brother.


Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

vickiticki said...

Wonderful! Max... you are the BEST BIG BROTHER! Jonas is VERY LUCKY to have you to show him the ropes...
* Aunt Vicki

Tristie hearts Dax said...

Glenn and Kristen! Congrats on your sweet new baby Jonas. I am so thrilled that he is here and safe. We love you all and hope the transition continues to go smoothly. Way to go! Oh, and Glenn...keep up the Husband of the year thing. New mommies love it (and deserve it!). Wa-hoo!

Kim said...

Love that last photo with Max's finger up his nose. It's great to hear how Max is already loving this new baby. Sometimes that's a hard and scary transition for little ones.

I'm loving these frequent posts, girl! Thanks for keeping us updated. Love you all.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

I am so glad that things are going well. Just don't take a shower with the two of them alone. Not even for 3 minutes. Katelin got out a bib, yogurt and a spoon and was feeding my one-month old yogurt!!
By the way, I see a lot of Glenn in Max!

Mary Victoria said...

When did Max grow up?!? What a great big brother for Jonas!

Lauren said...

So sweet! I'm so glad he's adjusting nicely. What two cuties you have there! Max has grown so much! He's adorable! And, of course, so is Jonas. Congrats!

Valerie said...

I love that Max is picking his nose is the last picture. Priceless!

Brooke said...

Glen!! I haven't seen you for ages. I saw your link from Triste's blog (so you can blame her). Congrats on the new baby. I hope you're all doing great. - Phil